The Hess Truck is one of the most beloved holiday traditions not to mention a favorite of collectors for several decades. In celebration of the holiday season, here’s some festive Hess Truck trivia that you can use to amuse your friends and best your enemies!
- The classic The Hess Truck is back! jingle from the commercials is to the tune of My Boyfriend’s Back, the 1963 hit for The Angels.
- The first Hess Truck came out in 1964 cost just $1.29 and included a battery.
- The 2010 Hess Truck cost $25.99.
- Hess Trucks still come with a battery to this day. In modern times, it is always an Energizer battery.
- Hess operates out of New Jersey.
- Over the years, the Hess “Truck” has been a space shuttle, planes, jeeps, vans, police patrol cars and other non-standard trucks. (You can see photos of every truck made at http://www.hesstoytruck.com, their official site.)
- Many of the Hess Trucks are also coin banks.
- For some years, Hess released special edition gold grill models only to shareholders and other VIPs that are very sought after by collectors.
- Leon Hess created the Hess Truck to give back to his customers by offering a well made toy for the holidays that was a great value.
- Some Hess Trucks are very collectible with the original Hess truck often fetching between $1,000 to $2,000 when sold.
We’ve put together a little gallery of the Hess Trucks through the years. Which ones did you love as a kid?